About On-Campus Employment

About Academic TrainingAbout Off-Campus Employment

International students who are in valid J-1 student status sponsored by UCSB and pursuing a full course of study can work on campus up to 50% time (20 hours/week or less) during the academic terms and full-time during the academic break periods (including summer break). On-campus employment at UCSB includes teaching or research assistantship, working at the UCen or Library, etc. Generally speaking, on-campus employment means that you will be receiving a paycheck from UCSB.

SEVIS regulations regarding on-campus employment for J-1 students require your J-1 sponsor (UCSB) to authorize all on-campus employment in writing before your employment start date. You must have written authorization from OISS to work on campus.

Before you begin any on-campus employment, you must complete Request for J-1 On-Campus Work Authorization form (with signatures from your employer and graduate student advisor) and submit the completed form to OISS.There are two versions of this form: one for students attending UCSB through EAP and one for all other J-1 students. Please be sure to select the correct form below.


  • The written authorization is only valid for a maximum of twelve months, or until the expiration date of your DS-2019 form, or the ending date of your employment, whichever is sooner.
  • You will need to obtain a new authorization for each year of on campus employment or if you change jobs.
  • When you complete your study program you are no longer eligible to be employed on-campus without special authorization (for example, academic training).
  • If your DS-2019 was issued by a program other than UCSB (such as Fulbright or IIE, Agency for International Development), you must contact your program sponsor for on-campus employment authorization.