Prior to your visa appointment, consult the website for the U.S. embassy or consulate that you will visit. Go to the Nonimmigrant Visa section and follow the instructions. Many people are denied visas when they are unprepared.
At the visa interview, you must present:
- Passport which is valid up to six months after date of entry into the USA
- Form I-20 (F-1 Students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Students)
- Evidence of financial support
- Bank statement or financial support letter from sponsor or UCSB academic department
- Home country address and documentation of home ties (if available)
OISS does not have the ability to expedite a visa interview or application for students so plan well in advance to avoid any complications due to delays.
For additional tips on the visa application process refer to NAFSA’s “10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Student Visa”.