The Office of International Students & Scholars is thrilled that you are considering UCSB to achieve your educational goals. 

OISS provides services and advising to international students and scholars, as well as the departments that support them. Please take a look at our digital brochure below to learn about international Gauchos at UCSB, OISS services, and to meet the team! Click on the "Download Our Guide!" button to the right to view and download the guide.

Below you will find some basic information on the admissions process, as well as some financial factors to consider. Detailed questions regarding the UCSB admissions process should be directed to the Office of Admissions.

How do I apply for admission to UCSB?

OISS is here to help you once you have been admitted to UCSB. OISS does not accept or process applications for admission. Here are links to help you apply:

  1. Freshmen (first year students) and transfer students (students from another U.S. college or university) who want an undergraduate degree (such as a B.A. or B.S.) apply through the undergraduate Admissions Office.
  2. Students who want to apply for a graduate degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) apply directly to the UCSB department in which they wish to study. A list of graduate programs and links to their contact email addresses, requirements and application dates are available on the Graduate Division website
  3. Students from universities that already have exchange agreements with the University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP) should apply for the EAP program through their home university. Check the EAP website for a list of universities that have EAP exchange agreements.
  4. Freshmen (first year students), transfer students (students from another U.S. college or university) and visiting students who wish to enroll in Summer Sessions, including the Freshman Summer Start Program (FFSP), apply directly through UCSB's Summer Sessions. Make sure to follow the instructions for international students provided by Summer Sessions in order to request your I-20 document. 
  5. Helpful Hint! When submitting your application to the UC System, you will want to make sure you indicate you will be coming on an F-1 or J-1 visa if you wish to receive an I-20 or DS-2019 from our office.  You cannot study at UCSB on a B-1 or B-2 visa.

What is my estimated cost of attendance?

Estimated Annual Cost

The adjusted current University estimate of the cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, and living expenses for the academic year, varies based on degree program.

Work-study opportunities for international students are limited. Most grants or scholarships are limited to U.S. students, and some visas include restrictions on the type of work you can do in the U.S.

Are there any financial aid and scholarship opportunities available to international students?

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Financial Aid and scholarships for international students studying in the US are limited. However, there are some resources that can help you find information on scholarships and loans available to international students.

One of the most comprehensive sources for locating funding sources is Edupass which began as the international student section of The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid.

International Education Financial Aid is a database that identifies scholarship opportunities and banks that have loan programs for which international students qualify.

Financial Aid for Undergraduate International Students is a resource provided by the National Association of Foreign Student Advisers (NAFSA) on various funding sources for international students studying in the U.S. 

The International Education Finance Corporation offers loans to international students with a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen.

The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund gives a very limited number of scholarships to women from developing countries that are pursuing graduate study in fields that benefit women and children in their respective regions.

The UCSB Graduate Division provides information on fellowships, scholarships, and other campus-based sources of financial support that are available to all graduate students including international graduate students.