UCSB students who complete their program in J-1 status have 4 different options after graduation.

  1. Depart Within Your 30 Day Grace Period:
    As a J-1 student you are allowed a 30 day grace period following the end of your J-1 program. During this time you are not allowed to work or study and must prepare to depart the United States. If you depart the United States before using the full 30 days, you cannot return on your J-1 visa to use the remaining time. If you would like to travel internationally during your grace period you must return in tourist status as your J-1 visa will no longer be valid. If you have completed your academic program with no desire to apply for post-graduation work or transfer to another school, please log onto UCSBGlobal and submit the Student Completion Form. EAP students do not need to submit a Student Completion form in this case. 
  2. Academic Training:
    If you are interested in working in the United States after you graduate you must apply for Academic Training. You must apply for Academic Training before the end of your program. You can find additional information regarding Academic Training here. Once you have completed your Academic Training, or wish to withdraw from training early, please be sure to submit the Student Completion Form through UCSBGlobal.
  3. Changing to a New Status:
    If you would like to change to a new immigration status other than J-1, please consult OISS. If you have been approved for a change of status within the United States and no longer need to be in F-1 status, please submit the Student Completion Form through UCSBGlobal, along with your approval notice.