Congratulations on your admission to UCSB!
"Transfer" can be tricky!
The term "transfer student" can have two meanings. Either or both may apply to you!
- For international students and their visa status: "transfer" can refer to an international student who is coming to UCSB from an American high school, community college, or university and is "transferring" their immigration document from a previous U.S. school to UCSB.
- For any student, international or American: "transfer student" can also refer to an undergraduate student who has completed their first two years of college at community college or different university prior to coming to UCSB as a Junior. Almost a third of UCSB students enter as transfer students. The Transfer Student Center is one example of resources for this type of transfer student (not exclusive to international students).
The information on this page is intended for international students who are transferring their immigration record to UCSB from another school in the U.S.
Now that you’ve been admitted, be sure to follow UCSB Admissions’ Steps to Enrollment, including submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) and activating your official UCSB email. OISS uses a platform called the International Student Portal in order to collect mandatory information and documents. Check your UCSB email for your invitation to activate your International Student Portal account.
What do I need to do before I arrive at UCSB?
I need to...
- Follow UCSB’s Steps to Enrollment
(Statement of Intent to Register and activate UCSB email - put 0000 for last four digits of SSN)
- Check my UCSB email inbox for my International Student Portal invite
- Communicate with my current school to transfer my SEVIS record to UCSB
- Request my transfer I-20
- Apply for my F-1 student visa (if needed)
- Complete Online CALI Training
- Participate in a pre-arrival video chat
Communicate with my current school
Communicate with my current school to transfer my SEVIS record to UCSB
Request my I-20 through the International Student Portal
The International Student Portal is where you will upload and enter required documents and information so that OISS can issue your transfer I-20.
Follow the instructions below to request your transfer I-20. There is a 4-week processing time once your SEVIS record has been successfully transferred to UCSB and all required documents and information have been approved by OISS. If you do not upload all required documents and information at the same time, it will take longer than 4 weeks for you to receive your I-20!
- Activate your International Student Portal Account
- Upload the required documents:
- Passport photo page
- Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)
- Proof of financial support for the 1st year of your program
- Transfer-In form filled out and signed by your International Student Advisor from your American High School, Community College or University.
- Current F-1 Visa
- Current I-94 Record
- Passport biography page of spouse or children (if applicable)
- Marriage or Birth Certificate (if applicable)
- Enter all required information on the Personal Information page:
- Permanent address
- Emergency contact
- Additional required Information:
- Initial session
- Transfer information (if applicable)
- eShip Global order number (see Step 4 for instructions)
- Create a shipment on https://study.eshipglobal.com/ to receive your I-20 in the mail. Please select Office of International Students & Scholars as the “Sender”. Be sure to log back into your International Student Portal and enter your order number in the required field under “Additional Information.”
Remember! As a transfer student you MUST have an I-20 from UCSB in order to start your studies.
Apply for my F-1 Student Visa (if needed)
- Refer to http://www.usembassy.gov for a list of United States Consulates or Embassies near you. Each office has their own set of requirements for visa appointments so pay close attention to the instructions of the office you select.
- For more information on applying for an F-1 visa, please click here.