Congratulations on your admission to UCSB!
Now that you’ve been admitted, be sure to follow UCSB Admissions’ Steps to Enrollment, including submitting your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) and activating your official UCSB email. OISS uses a platform called the International Student Portal in order to collect mandatory information and documents. Check your UCSB email for your invitation to activate your International Student Portal account.
What do I need to do before I arrive at UCSB?
I need to...
- Follow UCSB’s Steps to Enrollment (Statement of Intent to Register and activate UCSB email - put 0000 for last four digits of SSN)
- Check my UCSB email inbox for my International Student Portal invite
- Request my I-20 through the International Student Portal
- Pay my I-901 SEVIS Fee
- Apply for my F-1 Student Visa
- Complete Online CALI Training
- Participate in a pre-arrival video chat
Request my I-20 through the International Student Portal
The International Student Portal is where you will upload and enter required documents and information so that OISS can issue your I-20.
Follow the instructions below to request your I-20. There is a 4-week processing time once all required documents and information have been approved by OISS. If you do not upload all required documents and information at the same time, it will take longer than 4 weeks for you to receive your I-20!
- Activate your International Student Portal Account
- Upload the required documents:
- Passport photo page
- Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)
- Proof of financial support for the 1st year of your program
- Passport biography page of spouse or children (if applicable)
- Marriage or Birth Certificate (if applicable)
- Enter all required information on the Personal Information page:
- Permanent address
- Emergency contact
- Additional required information:
- Initial session
- Transfer information (if applicable)
- eShip Global order number (see Step 4 for instructions)
- Create a shipment on https://study.eshipglobal.com/ to receive your I-20 in the mail. Please select “Office of International Students & Scholars” as the “Sender.” Be sure to log back into your International Student Portal and enter your order number in the required field under “Additional Information.”
Click here for more help on how to use your International Student Portal account and request your I-20 document.
Pay for my I-901 SEVIS Fee
Upon receiving your I-20, review it for accuracy and immediately pay the SEVIS fee to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) at https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html.
You will be required to enter your SEVIS ID number, which is found at the top of your I-20 document, and the UC Santa Barbara school code, which is LOS214F00959000.
Note that you will NOT be issued a visa by the Consulate or Embassy if you have not paid the SEVIS fee. Not paying your SEVIS fee is a violation of your student status.
Apply for my F-1 student visa
- Refer to http://www.usembassy.gov for a list of United States Consulates or Embassies near you. Each office has their own set of requirements for visa appointments so pay close attention to the instructions of the office you select.
- For more information on applying for an F-1 visa, please click here.