Dependent family members of J-1 exchange visitors may enter the U.S. as J-2 Dependents.  Family members eligible for the J-2 status must be either your legally married spouse, or your unmarried child(ren) under the age of 21.  Your J-2 Dependents are allowed to enter the U.S. with you or separately, at a later time.

If you are a J-1 Exchange Visitor already in the U.S. and would like your family to join you, begin by visiting UCSBGlobal. You will need to fill out the Scholar Dependent Information form under Scholar Information (Initial). This form will include a place to upload all required documents for your family members.

A DS-2019 form will be issued for each of your dependents and you will be contacted by email when the DS-2019 forms are ready for pick-up.

Your family members will then need to apply for the J-2 visa at a U.S. consulate abroad. In addition to their own DS-2019 forms, they will need the following documents from you prior to their visa interview:

  • Photocopy of YOUR J-1 DS-2019 form.
  • Supporting letter from your UCSB Host Department (indicating your current visiting scholar status with the Department).
  • Evidence of financial support (refer to financial requirements chart).
  • Proof of relationship you, (Marriage or Birth certificates)

Once your family members arrive in Santa Barbara, you will need to fill out the Scholar Dependent Late Check-in form on UCSBGlobal.