When withdrawing for non-medical reasons or taking a gap quarter, F-1 students are required to depart the U.S. Your current F-1 status is "terminated" in the SEVIS database. You must depart the U.S. within 15 days of your termination. Please contact OISS to schedule an appointment with an advisor to discuss your plans to depart UCSB for 1 or more quarters.

If you are taking a leave for more than one quarter, you will need to request a new initial I-20 to return to the U.S. You will also need to pay a new SEVIS fee and have a valid F-1 entry visa to return. When you return to the U.S. using your new initial I-20, you must report in person to OISS so that your return to UCSB can be reported to SEVIS. Bring the new I-20, your passport, and I-94 record within the first week of your entry to the U.S. This is very important as you will lose your F-1 status if SEVIS is not updated in a timely manner.